mattblakk: (Default)
[personal profile] mattblakk
This is reposted for friends of mine whose 85 year old aunt is being evicted from her home after her partner died by partner's daughter who does not approve of their "Lifestyle."

This is in Seal Beach in Southern California. Does anyone know of any resources which might be helpful?

from [ profile] sushispook and [ profile] podle

So - last night I got a somewhat distressed call from my Mom. Her sister's (my favorite aunt) partner of 14 years died on Thursday morning. My aunt Pat and her partner, B, were not much out of the closet - they found each other in their, I guess, twilight years and had a wonderful and loving relationship. Tragically, they never really formalized their relationship legally, and all their property is in B's name. B's daughter does not recognize their relationship at all and has already begun staking claim to her mother's property. I am just hearstick over this. My Aunt Pat is an amazing woman who I have loved and admired my whole life. She's 85 and blind for crying out loud. I am not completely clear on the details but it seems that my cousins are doing absolutely nothing so far to support her because they didn't approve of the relationship.

I don't particularly care if any of these people understand or condone homosexuality - but by all that is holy - where is their compassion? My aunt is grieving, her partner's daughter is already staying in her home and telling her, "There are rules." regarding how long she can be there? Pat can't even make a phone call to discuss this with my Mom unless the daughter leaves the house!

If any of you have ideas for someone who can provide legal assistance or counseling to my Aunt I would greatly appreciate it. She's in Seal Beach (Southern California).

Date: 2009-07-12 01:02 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Get this on tv! This is the most perfect example I ever heard of which might make str8 people understand why gay relationship recognition is so important.

Surely there are some nosey reporters who would love this.

Date: 2009-07-12 03:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Not sure about the laws and agencies appropriate to this situation in CA but I believe this counts as elder abuse. Try a domestic abuse hotline or a suitable state agency for referrals.

Date: 2009-07-12 03:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
My first thoughts are to contact GLBTQ lawyers, the local queer center or move rapidly up the food chain to the HRC or a SoCal equivalent.A quick google search for Seal Beachturned up a host of resources incuding:
places for them to start.

Hey Matt...

Date: 2009-07-12 04:32 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Depending on how long they shared a home... if there is any evidence at all of the nature of their relationship (shared accounts, letters, etc) then your aunt may have rights via PALIMONY laws... since they were basically common law without the legal paperwork.

Whitr's resources are excellent - as is attracting the media... BUT... honestly - no media should be involved AT ALL unless your aunt condones it. It would basically throw her headlong into a spotlight she may not desire at this stage of her life.

Much love and strength to you and yours.

Hugs, Tina

Date: 2009-07-12 05:46 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
this actually won't fly in CA. The laws are too good.

NCLR, ACLU -- any of those guys would be a good place to start.

Date: 2009-07-12 06:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]

Matt, I will drop a note to Karen if that is OK.

Date: 2009-07-12 09:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I was going to mention the same thing. I'm Canadian so I might not have full information, but from what I've heard, the aunt may have the oppourtunity to obtain legal claim if she can prove a relationship existed and that the property was maintained and/or purchased by the both of them. I would think it would be similar to proving common law status irregardless of gender.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the daughter can't start living in the house and/or forcing the aunt to leave before getting legal title to the property. The aunt should be in a position to call the police and have the daughter taken away... not that she might be able to do that.

In any case, I wonder if it is possible to have a relative or group come and advocate for her with the daughter and stay with her until the daughter is at least out of the house.


Date: 2009-07-12 12:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Try our friends at Lamda Legal.

I hope there is some legal protection for her!

This is JUST like "If these wall could talk 2"

April 2017

910 1112131415

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2017 07:00 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios